System HW Principal Engineer
The System HW Principal Engineer will be responsible for design and implementation of HW for the world’s highest resolution holographic display ecosystem. The ideal candidate has a background in imaging or display systems, and is familiar with implementing video interfaces in FPGAs. He or she is able to specify detailed block diagrams for the interconnection between CPUs, PCIe devices, FPGAs, GPUs, and memory devices in a distributed system. The candidate will be able to optimize these HW blocks for the most efficient video rendering solution for a real-time system. The candidate will work daily with a team of software developers, EEs, mechanical engineers, optical engineers, other HW engineers, and experts in light field imaging.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate system-level HW architecture diagrams, and take a lead role in the implementation of a distributed display system which includes multiple servers driving a modular video display system with many gigapixels of resolution.
- Lead the design and implementation of a custom distributed real-time engine which uses a balance of CPU and GPU functionality optimized to render video for a large light field display system.
- Take a lead role in the design and implementation of custom FPGAs which employ video interface IP blocks, custom codecs, and communication with GPUs.
- Work with the SW Systems Principal Engineer and the Computational Imaging Architect to achieve an optimal system-level design.
- Implement proprietary codecs in processors, GPUs, and FPGAs
- Other tasks as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with software engineers, ME’s, optical engineers, and light field imaging experts to arrive at the optimal system requirements and implementation.
- Evaluate new display technology, and work with GPU vendors to maximize their performance.
At least 5 years of experience in taking a lead role in the system level architecture and hardware implementation of complex video display systems. Experience with the design of imaging or
display systems is a plus.
- Able to specify complete system level as well as detailed block diagrams for the interconnection between CPUs, PCIe devices, FPGAs, GPUs, and memory devices in a distributed system.
- Direct hands-on experience with tool chains for HDL, test bench, synthesis, place and route, timing analysis and closure for large high speed complex FPGAs. Verilog experience a plus.
- Familiar with the design and implementation of video interface IP blocks in an FPGA, such as Display Port.
- Experience with embedded processors.
- Knowledgeable about video synchronization across multiple displays, and video timing signals.
- Proven experience in working with software engineers to bring up a complex system.
- Familiar with implementation of video encoding and decoding protocols in both HW and SW.
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience writing low-level HW drivers in FW is a plus.
- Experience with implementing an FPGA PCIe interface to communicate with a host PCIe bus is a plus.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced startup environment
- HW architecture detailing system design with CPUs, GPUs, and FPGAs
- Design flow for large FPGAs.
- Display Port IP blocks
- Embedded processors
- Video timing and synchronization across multiple displays
- Video codecs
- Distributed systems
- Low-level HW drivers
- PCIE communication between a target and a host CPU system
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds for 50 feet; bend and reach; work in an environment with daily changes in climate;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit, read, write, type and speak for extended periods of time;
- The employee is required to move around the premises;
- The employee must be able to observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work;
- Employee must be able to learn and apply new skills or information;
- Must be able to multi-task regularly;
- Employee must display a positive, professional image and attitude and work well with others;
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise levels;
- The position also requires the following abilities:
Ability to look at computer screen for extended periods; Ability to concentrate and focus for extended periods; Ability to handle stress; Ability to interact frequently and positively with others; Ability to meet deadlines
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or interpreted as a comprehensive inventory or exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs. Light Field Lab Inc., is an at-will employer and this description is not intended to imply a guarantee of permanent employment.
Major Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance available