As an ideal candidate, your strong mix of technical breadth and depth allows you to work cross-functionally to tie mechanical assemblies, optics, electronics, and computing power into the world’s highest resolution holographic display. We are seeking a practical mechanical engineer who doesn’t mind getting his or her hands dirty, and likes to work on many aspects of a project at the same time. You will work with other MEs, Optical Engineers, Optical Test Engineers, Electrical Engineers, and System Engineers to build the world’s first convincing holographic display.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical design principles and fabrication processes to create products and tools. Use 3D CAD tools (e.g. SolidWorks) to design assemblies, parts, and drawings.
- Design and analyze parts and assemblies of different mechanical and thermal properties using CAD tools. Characterize solutions for stability and repeatability.
- Design, directly fabricate, assemble, and test prototypes.
- Design fixtures for optomechanical systems which may combine optical components, display devices, electronic components, cooling system, support structures, and kinematic features for location and alignment.
- Design for precision mounting, alignment, and interlock of individual display panels for a modular video wall system
- Develop fixtures for test of optical components, optical subassemblies, and electrical systems
- Develop motion control systems including motors and translation stages
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform some direct machining of critical parts, and assemble and test prototype optomechanical systems
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or commensurate experience
- At least 5 years of relevant industrial experience with a solid history of developing products with multi-disciplinary teams
- 3D CAD experience (e.g. SolidWorks) making assemblies, parts, and drawings
- Hands-on skills such as machining, mechanical assembly, electromechanical integration, possibly soldering, etc.
- Experience with design of support structures for optical assemblies
- Some experience with precision optomechanical design
- Able to design fixturing for testing of optical assemblies, involving alignment features, clamping structures, and mounting of sensors and equipment
- Working knowledge of stepper motors, servo motors, controllers, and stages for motion control
- Experience with design of thermal cooling, including fans and liquid cooling structures
- Material analysis, and design for CTE mismatch for assemblies containing glass, polymer, aluminum, steel, and possibly carbon fiber
- DFM of mechanical parts - knowledge of tolerance stack up, machining practices, appropriate tolerances, leverage of off-the-shelf components, impossible cutouts or bends, and scrap limiting measures
- Ability to perform a Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is desired
- Experience with the design of an interlocking mechanical structure with fine alignment adjustment is desired
- Multi-disciplinary teams
- 3D CAD
- Hands-on machining and assembly
- Support structures for optical assemblies
- Precision optomechanical design
- Fixturing for testing of optical assemblies
- Motion control
- Material analysis
- DFM for mechanical part
Major Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance and 401k available
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds for 50 feet; bend and reach; work in an environment with daily changes in climate;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit, read, write, type and speak for extended periods of time;
- The employee is required to move around the premises;
- The employee must be able to observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work;
- Employee must be able to learn and apply new skills or information;
- Must be able to multi-task regularly;
- Employee must display a positive, professional image and attitude and work well with others;
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise levels;
- The position also requires the following abilities:
- Ability to look at computer screen for extended periods;
- Ability to concentrate and focus for extended periods;
- Ability to handle stress;
- Ability to interact frequently and positively with others;
- Ability to meet deadlines
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or interpreted as a comprehensive inventory or exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs. Light Field Lab Inc. is an at-will employer and this description is not intended to imply a guarantee of permanent employment.